Steven L. CranePrincipal and COO
- Juris Doctor, University of Michigan Law School, cum laude (2002)
- B.S.C.E.E., University of Michigan College of Engineering, magna cum laude (1998)
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Intellectual Property Section of the Michigan Bar Association
Steven specializes in preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the U.S. and internationally, preparing and conducting investigations and opinions, and product clearance. Steven has been practicing law for more than 17 years and has worked in a wide variety of technologies with a particular focus on Automotive, Aerospace, and Medical Devices. His expertise also includes preparing and prosecuting design patent applications and trademark applications. Steven has successfully argued many cases before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
Steven also has extensive experience assessing intellectual property portfolio strength. He regularly advises clients on patent and trademark portfolio management including offensive and defensive patent and trademark use to leverage market strength and advises clients in dispute resolution and litigation claims and defenses.
After graduating from the University of Michigan College of Engineering (B.S.C.E.E. with a concentration in Project Management), Steven worked as an engineer with an engineering consultant firm specializing in project management and expert witness preparation. His practice focused on utilizing critical path methodology to meet project milestones and project forensics to identify failed metrics in the automotive, oil and gas, and pharmaceutical industries. Steven is uniquely qualified to handle especially complex infringement/non-infringement, invalidity investigations and opinions, due diligence, and product clearance.
Steven manages the firm's daily operations and CLE practice.
- IP Portfolio Management
- Client Counseling
- Opinions and Investigations
- Automotive systems including:
- autonomous driving technologies
- vehicle electrical systems
- computer architecture
- V2X communications
- Electrification Technology
- Medical Devices
- Polymer Chemistry including:
- Electro-mechanical Systems
- Mechanical Devices
- Hydraulic Controls
- Computer Software Architecture
- Industrial Processes